Sunday, March 7, 2021

Neighborhood

When I saw this quilt pattern on Purl Soho, I was in love. The colors. The simple block designs. The pop of curves. It really spoke to me. I'll be honest, though. The pattern instructions were a challenge. I won't go into the details, but it took a lot of tenacity to stick with this one and work through the unclear directions. PS was helpful at times (they did respond to my repeated emails), but ultimately I had to just dive in and solve the problems by myself. I couldn't be more thrilled with the outcome!

Neighborhood - front. Fabrics all chosen at BTB in Bristol, RI

Neighborhood - back

In addition to the challenging curves (test your templates people!), the unconventional seams (5/8"?), the binding was done using a technique I hadn't used before. I like how it turned out.

I decided to do the quilting by hand on Neighborhood. A "first" for me! I referred to my 2020 QuiltCon class by Sarah Fielke. Her suggestions came in really handy! I used various colors of Aurifil 12wt thread; much easier to work with the perle cotton 8wt. And I like the look.


I also threw in some "different" quilting - X's, criss-cross design, dense stitching.

Pattern: Neighborhood, by Thompson Street Studio for Purl Soho (with modifications)
Fabric: various, all purchased at Beyond the Bolt, Bristol RI
Piecing, hand quilting, binding: me


No comments:

Post a Comment

Chevron Points

 Colleen at Beyond the Bolt challenged her customers this summer (2022). Finish a quilt top, using ONLY solid fabrics. It was quite the chal...