Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Vacation Sewing

I finished a tuffet! It was a really fun project.I used fabrics from the "Around the Block" collection (Cloud 9 Fabrics) by Heather Moore of Skinny laMinx fame. I love this collection. With the skinny strips on the tuffet top some of the details on the block prints don't show, but overall it's still a great look.


And I used materials from Tuffet Source, including their instructions. It seems daunting when you first start out, but it's really very easy once you get into it. My only issue was having enough fabric for the button cover. The instructions tell you to create 2" strips from all the fat quarters, but you need a wider piece than that for the button. Next time I'd cut the button cover piece out first and set it aside. There would still be plenty of fabric left to do the strips needed for the top.

Here's a closeup of the feet.

The tuffet doesn't have a home yet, but I don't want it to be very far away because I love it so!

P.S. It's hard to get a picture of a tuffet when it's on the floor! I ended up putting it up on a table so the details would show.

Vacation project #2 was a child-focused quilt top. It's the Thicket quilt, using the Thicket fabric collection (designer Stacy Bloomfield of Gingiber; the fabric is hard to find now since it's mostly sold out of stores). 

It was a pretty easy project, and I liked that each block was a bit "freeform." The centers of each square can be positioned towards the top, bottom or either side of center. So when it's finished and quilted, the middles will look off center and unaligned. The animal panels add a bit of whimsy; everything has a white background except for the owl panel (beige). Just to mix it up.

I love her drawings.

Some day this will be quilted up and given away.

What a great vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chevron Points

 Colleen at Beyond the Bolt challenged her customers this summer (2022). Finish a quilt top, using ONLY solid fabrics. It was quite the chal...