Wednesday, March 29, 2017

2016: 3 Finishes

I've just come back from the NHMQG Retreat in Kennebunkport. Sewing is such a nice way to spend three days in gloomy March weather! I was able to finish up one quilt top, reject another project as too fiddly, and started on a scrappy block project using some "yard sale" 2-1/2" squares. More on these pieces later.

Here's a recap of some recent finishes:

Stargazer from "For Keeps" by Amy Gibson.
Stargazer
I pieced this quilt when at the Fall retreat on the Cape. It was fun to do, and was a perfect Xmas gift. All the stars were made from scraps and FQs I had in my stash. H & C wanted a quilt they could take outside for picnics, so I made it with a dark background and green backing fabric - it won't show grass stains as easily that way!
Stargazer

I Can Sing a Rainbow (baby quilt) from Sew It! by Allison Nicoll.

This was actually finished up in 2017, made for new baby Elowen who was born in California in February. I used a bundle of grunge fabrics for the top of this quilt, and put a grey fabric with owls on the back. Melissa used a pantograph that has butterflies for the quilting. It's very cute.


I Can Sing a Rainbow
I don't remember the name of this one - it came from a magazine that I now can't find. I used Carolyn Friedlander fabrics for the majority of the quilt top, fabrics that I collected at the NHMQG Fat Quarter swap in 2016. I started cutting it out when I had a visitor in town; she and I spent an entire weekend shopping for fabric, and sewing, and yacking. This quilt doesn't have a home yet but I do love it.


I just realized this photo was taken before the binding was sewn down. I'll have to get another picture to show it really IS finished.

WIPs:
- "Chelsea" scrappy blocks
- Glow, with SS
- Play a Card by Brigitte Heitland for Zen Chic
- Charity piecing on Cutting Garden by Krista Hennebury

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chevron Points

 Colleen at Beyond the Bolt challenged her customers this summer (2022). Finish a quilt top, using ONLY solid fabrics. It was quite the chal...